Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Weekend!...

Along the Mt. Vernon Trail, watching a rugby game.
...Is now over, and I actually have to go to work tomorrow but I am grateful for the time that I got to spend with Austin this weekend and we were so happy to have some nicer weather that let us get outside!  Friday night, Austin and I saw The Lincoln Lawyer which was quite entertaining.  This being the first movie we have seen in downtown DC, we were in for a little bit of a culture shock!  Here, movies are more of an interactive entertainment and the two women behind us took full advantage of the 90 minutes!
First sign of the famous cherry blossoms!
On Saturday, we went for a run in the morning around the mall, then went for a bike ride down the Mt. Vernon Trail but only went as far as old town Alexandria where we looked around the shops and had lunch.  It's a nice bike path that runs along the river, only real problem with it was that every other DC resident decided to join us on the path...seclusion and peacefulness are two words that East Coasters aren't real familiar with.

Today, we wandered around the Eastern Market and belatedly shopped for my Mom's birthday present (I would post a picture of our findings, but on the off chance that my mom reads this, I don't want her to see it!  But take my word for it, it's awesome!).  We meandered through a game store and when a woman dropped a game on the floor, I went over and picked it up for her...no, she didn't say thank you or acknowledge me in any way.  After that pleasant encounter with a Washingtonian, we went into a used bookstore where the salesman was equally as rude.  I'm not quite sure I understood his method of customer service.  All of these little interactions built up and caused me to have a breakdown in the park by our apartment, so we decided to cure my plight with some crafting via a trip to Joann Fabrics, then stopped by REI and Costco.  Afterwards, Austin made me a delicious dinner and we got our fancy boy and girl clothes ready for our big day of work tomorrow!

Even though the weekend had its definite downs, Austin and I made the most of our time and I can't wait until next weekend!  Wish me luck on my first day of work tomorrow!

Eastern Market

3 comments:

The Brooks Family said...

The awful attitudes that you find throughout the East Coast is weird and sometimes a real emotional downer. Don't worry, I think everyone has breakdowns when you are trying to get use to it. I had many. One time, I had to run out of the grocery store because I was in tears because someone was 'not nice' to me. Eventually, you stop seeing their bad attitudes or turn your head at all the stupid people...

Karen said...

Don't give up! There are nice people and not so nice where ever you go. You will find them.

Fudge said...

I think that's definitely true...the only problem is the sheer amount of people here so you are more likely to run into the mean ones! It's really just a matter of probability and statistics :)