Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Irene's Brownies (German Chocolate)

We've been through a lot since last Tuesday.  First, there was the earthquake.  I'll admit for a split second I too thought that we were being attacked, but then I realized what it was.  I realized that everything was fine.  And I didn't feel the need to tell everyone in the world that I felt a shake (Yes, I realize the irony of this post because of course, I am doing exactly that.  Nonetheless...).
Then on Friday we had to make hurricane preparations.  Having never been in a hurricane before, I didn't really know what to expect.  I can now say that there was a bit of over-preparation in DC for Irene, but I gave in and filled my bathtub with water too.  I sat around all day Saturday watching the Weather Channel as they tried desperately to hold onto their spike in ratings for as long as possible.  When we got bored of that, we went up to the roof to really feel it.  You know what a hurricane feels like when your are at a safe distance inland?  Windy.
You know what I realized through all of this?  It is important to have snacks on hand...at all times.  Ok, let's be honest - I already knew that.  But it was a good reminder still.  Also, you should have 2 types of snacks.  One that we will call a treat.  A treat is something that you would look forward to eating, anytime, any circumstance.  The second we will call an emergency ration.  This is something that you would not willingly choose to eat but when times are tough, you won't starve.  The reason?  Well, you're going to eat your treat way before the emergency really sets in so you need the backup for later.  (One of those chalky protein bars comes to mind.)

Here's a good example of a treat!

IRENE'S BROWNIES (German Chocolate Brownies)
*Use your favorite brownie recipe (or this one - I would skip the choc. chips)
Frosting recipe adapted from Joy of Baking
1 1/4 C Pecans
1 C Sugar
1 C. Evaporated Milk
3 Egg Yolks, slightly beaten
1/2 C Butter, cut into pieces
1/8 tsp. Salt
1 1/2 C Sweetened Flaked Coconut
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1.  Make up your brownies.  (I'm sure you could make a box, but if you have the time, you probably have the ingredients - and they are sooo good homemade!)
2.  Combine the egg yolks, sugar, milk, butter, salt, and vanilla in a medium saucepan.  Bring the mixture to a boil and allow to thicken.
3.  Once the mixture has reached desired consistency, remove from heat.  Add pecans and coconut.
4.  Pour brownie mix into a 9x13" greased pan.  Evenly distribute dollops of frosting on top of brownies.
5.  Run a knife through the pan, swirling the frosting into the brownies.
6.  Bake at 350˚ for about 30 minutes (Time will vary depending on which brownie recipe you use).  Knife test.
7.  Top with some ice cream while you watch the latest developments on a natural catastrophe.  If the power goes out, your ice cream is going to melt anyway.

No comments: