Sometimes do you wonder where the phrase "easy as pie" came from? Peeling and coring fruit, mixing, baking, checking to make sure the filling doesn't explode or flow over the crust onto the bottom of the oven and set the house on fire. That doesn't sound that easy. This pie is where that phrase came from. This is easy. Any way you slice it! (Haha, pardon my pun!)
An added bonus is that you can pretend that it's still summer. Here in DC, we're not really having to stretch the imagination too far. This is probably the easiest pie you will ever make and it tastes just like pure summer! It's especially easy if you cheat on the crust like I did. If you have a great crust recipe, make that one. I'm sure it's better anyway. Better yet, share the recipe with me. You can make this pie in any flavor that pudding comes in and the hardest part is waiting for your pie to set in the fridge!
ICE CREAM PIE
Family recipe (not sure who it came from exactly...I'm sure someone will let me know quickly ;) )
1 Pie Crust
1 c. Milk
1 pkg. Pudding (any flavor you like - coconut and chocolate are my favorites - I used Pistachio this time)
1 pint Vanilla Ice Cream, softened
Whipped Cream, optional but delicious
1. Prepare you pie crust. Flutter the edges to make it all pretty. Then poke little holes in the bottom with a fork. (Very important detail otherwise your crust will puff up funny.
2. Bake your crust at 425 for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
3. Mix together the milk and pudding. Stir in the ice cream.
4. Pour into baked pie shell.
5. Let sit in fridge for 1-2 hours. Top with whipped cream and taste the summer!