Now, if you're wondering what you should do with that buttermilk that you made, look no further! Mix up some biscuits, smother with that homemade butter and top with some raspberry jam.
recipe adapted from Alton Brown
2 c. flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. shortening
3/4 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. heavy cream*
*You can substitute heavy cream and use full 1 c. buttermilk instead.
1. Mix together dry ingredients.
2. Mix in butter and shortening with fingers until crumbs form. (Do not overmix)
3. Create a well in the center of flour mixture, add buttermilk and cream. Mix as little as possible until sticky dough forms.
4. Turn out onto floured surface. Fold ~5 times. (Do not mix too much or your biscuits will be tough).
5. Flatten dough until it is about 1 inch thick and cut with a 2 inch cookie cutter. (Yes, mine are pumpkin shaped--but only because I don't have a round cutter).
6. Bake in a 450˚ oven for 15 minutes.
These are so simple and so much better, you will never go back to a can of biscuits again. Plus those cans are dangerous - how they just pop open all crazy like :)